Validation gauges can be simple replicas of the model part. This lowers their cost, but some only serve to establish a pattern with which the piece is compared to establish its validity.
Commonly used in the machining of parts, its main use is the verification of dimensions with narrow tolerances when it comes to the verification of serial parts..
They help control, among others:
- Dimensional and geometric accuracy (length, parallelism and flatness).
- Dimensional stability over time.
- Resistance to wear and other external elements.
For their part, Positioners allow us, among other uses, to position a piece in space and, aligning ourselves through its references, accelerate and ensure measurement processes. The pieces are positioned in space by means of supports, centering and fixing elements.
These types of tools are usually in demand, especially in the #automotive industry, but also in other areas such as #aeronautics, the #railway #industry, etc.
The additive manufacturing (3D printing) of this type of tool provides a significant reduction in production costs, especially in those in which its manufacture is made of metal (Aluminum, Stainless Steel). Weight reduction and manufacturing time are also important elements to keep in mind.
The lifespan of these parts can sometimes be less, however, it is still a much more profitable option.
For all those that are already produced in plastic materials (polymers), mainly in Nylon or Teflon, the chemical industries are developing new options of 3D printable materials that are capable of supplying them.
Some design elements taken into account in the example presented (Real part of a client user of an industrial Dynamical 3D printer-model DT60):
- Optimization of the design and geometry of the piece to use the least amount of material without seeing its mechanical properties diminished.
- Selected material (PA12-CF). Technical material capable of withstanding multiple repetitive cycles without eroding or modifying the dimensions of the printed part.
- Additional reinforcements to counter forces:
– Reinforced perimeter throughout the piece, mainly in the holes where the inserts that will hold the clamp are installed.
– Longitudinal rib on the clamp fixing tower.
- On an aesthetic level, all the sharp edges of the piece have been lowered by means of chamfers, improving handling ergonomics.
Dynamical 3D’s engineering department will help you analyze and identify all those parts of your product and its production process that are replaceable by additive manufacturing.